Sign In | Register
Study Abroad Questions and Answers
Search For A Question
Question asked in Visa and Immigration
How can I get a Social Security Number in USA?
Asked by: Piyol
Answers: 1
Views: 3099
Posted on Sun, 17 Jan 2010 19:13:48 GMT
Question Description
I'm wondering if it's easy to get a Social Security Number in the United States. I will be going to USA on a student visa. How can I get a SSN after I'm there? Will I be able to get it easily? People say that students can work off-campus only if they have a social security number. As I will be willing to work off-campus, I would like to be assured about getting a Social Security Number before going to USA. Thank you.

To get your Social Security Number in USA, you have to find a job at any of the departments within the campus. That means, you have to find some kind of on-campus employment before you can apply for your Social Security Number.

Whether you can find on-campus job easily or not depends on the university. Usually, universities which do not have many international students tend to have plenty of jobs available for international students. The department that hires most of the international students is usually a college cafeteria.

You have been informed correctly that you can work off-campus only after you have your Social Security Number. That is because your employer will want to make check payments for your salary, but that is not possible without a Social Security Number. And, as you start working, you have to pay income tax. Every taxpayer should have a Social Security Number.

The main point to note is: even after you have a social security number, you need to obtain a work permit from your university to work off-campus legally. Universities do not give such permit to all the students, unless they really desire it.

Rate it!
rolve answered 8 years and 2 months ago
Ask Your Question
Ask your studying abroad related question here. Your question will be answered by experts and other EduCouncil QnA members.
Characters Left
Why should I ask?
EduCouncil doesn't guarantee the accuracy of the information available in EduCouncil QnA. Read Full Disclaimer
Help us improve. Give Feedback
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Help | Contact
Copyright © EduCouncil 2008-2018